We know exercise is good for us. However, how much and what type of exercise is good?
Generally, there are two types of exercise:
- Aerobic (moderate intensity/ vigorous intensity)
- Muscle strengthening
We need BOTH to maintain our health, to reduce risks of developing coronary heart
disease, stroke, obesity, type 2 diabetes, some cancers. And of course exercise can
also improve our mental wellbeing as well.
So how much exercise is enough?
The Heart Foundation has recommended:
1. be physically active most of the days
2. try to accumulate 150-300 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity (e.g.
brisk walking, gardening, dancing) or 75-150 minutes of vigorous intensity
physical activity (e.g. running, fast cycling, competitive sports such as soccer,
football, basketball), or an equivalent combination of both
3. Do muscle strengthening activities at least in 2 days
Here are some helpful tips:
1. Minimise time spent on prolonged sitting, get up and stretch out regularly
2. start off with small goal to gain confidence
3. buddy up with a friend or family member
4. pick an exercise or activity that you enjoy (e.g. cycling, walking, swimming)
5. Start NOW
Remember, it is never too late to start a regular exercise routine.
Come and chat with us so that we can assist you.